Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Group Break Fun With Thorzul

The blog named, Thorzul Will Rule, hosted a break that he calls his El Cheapo Break.  He purchases some random base, inserts, and hits.  You then buy a team and whatever comes out of his lot is yours.  I always enjoy a good mixed break.  I like getting cards from random sets.

Some teams in Thorzul's break got an auto or a game used.  I was not that lucky.  I came away with some inserts and a base card that I didn't have. 

I am a huge fan of the Xponential insert sets.  They are shiny and futuristic.  This Jeff Kent is new to my collection.  This was a solid get in the break for me.  Kent played with a surly attitude and often came across as grumpy.  I still appreciated the way he played the game.  Kent had a lot of heart and grit.  He reminded me of a tough cowboy that never smiled.


I surprisingly did not have this John Ely rookie card in my collection.  I opened a lot of rack packs and a few blasters of 2010 Topps Update.  How could this card have eluded me?  I have probably pulled at least a half dozen Ely rookie cards out of 2010 Topps Chrome and Chrome only has four cards per pack.  Luckily, Thorzul was able to send this card my way.


Thorzul also sent over this Russell Martin Upper Deck Portraits card and this Bowman Chrome Pedro Baez.  Thorzul posted on his blog that this was the best pull of my lot.  I kind of like the Jeff Kent card better.  I do like the Upper Deck Portraits set though.  This card also was a need of mine.

Pedro Baez seems to have been in the Dodger minor league system forever.  I have been reading about him for awhile.  He is still young though.  The Dodgers signed him as a teenager.  I have read that he has some power potential.  He just hasn't shown much of it yet.  Baez is currently in Double-A and this is a make or break year for him.  If he wants to be considered one of the top position players in the system he as to produce this year.  The Dodgers need to see results in games not just in BP.


Here is an Ethier insert from last years Allen and Ginter set.  I can't wait for some new Ginter this year.  I am going to load up on that product.  Someone has recently sent me this Ethier in a trade.  So, that means I have two now.  If anyone needs this card, please let me know.  Thanks.

I did about average in this break compared to the other folks that signed up.  So, I can't complain.  It was still a fun break and I will join another El Cheapo break if Thorzul does it again.  Thorzul is also doing another group break right now.  You can find out more info about his new break right here.

No comments: