Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Top 5 Most Wanted:70s Edition

I have neglected the top portion of my blog where I should be posting my most wanted lists.  But, I decided to do something a little different.  I am going to have specific themes to my most wanted list.  The themes may be broad or they may be hard to find cards.  A junk wax edition of my most wanted list may even appear.  The possibilities are endless!

I have slowly been building up my 70s Topps Dodger team sets.  Many great bloggers out there have helped give my 70s binder a boast.  I still need a lot of the big time Dodger cards from that era.

I am looking to the blog world for help.  Some of you may have stacks of Topps cards from the 70s that are collecting dust and just waiting to be sent my way.

#1-  1971 Topps Steve Garvey RC

I would accept this card in any condition.  Since, there are a lot of Dodger bloggers out there, I hope one of you guys have an extra one of these Garvey cards.

This card is a classic to me.  It is a must have card of one of the Dodger greats in the 70s.

#2-  1970 Topps Maury Wills

The second card that I seek is a 1970 Topps Maury Wills.  Wills was the 1962 NL MVP.  Wills was a speedster that set the table for the Dodger teams of the 60s.

This card will look sweet next to my 1970 Topps Wes Parker and Willie Crawford.

#3-  1972 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm

This is a high numbered Hoyt Wilhelm card.  It is numbered at 777.  Wilhelm is also in the hall of fame.  I am prepared to come strong with an offer for one of these in solid condition.  The 1972 Dodger team set is the one that I would like to complete first.

This is also the set that I nicknamed the "Stoner Set."  The color patterns just remind me of smoking joints in the back of a van and listening to Led Zeppelin.  I wasn't even born yet but, I imagine that was a good time.

I also like the background of the seats at Dodgertown.  I probably sat in those seats right behind Wilhelm.

#4-  1972 Topps Bobby Valentine

I had to go with another 1972 Topps card.  This set rocks and has a great color scheme.

As you may have heard, Valentine is now the manager of the Boston Red Sox.  This is great for him. He gets back into managing.

That is what popped into my mind when I saw his name on my want list print out.

#5-  1976 Topps Bill Buckner

I am really digging this set right now.  Also, with Bill Buckner you get a great mustache and him posing in a mostly vacant stadium. This card is so 70s.

I hope that this will become a regular feature at the Platter.  I will start the next list after this one is complete. Some of these cards will be more difficult to obtain than others.

I will post the list up top under Spiegel's Most Wanted.










No comments: