Monday, October 1, 2012

Ideas For Our World

My day off from work has been spectacular so far.  I ventured about an hour north from my house to San Buenaventura State Beach in Ventura,CA.  It is a lot quieter and more peaceful going to beaches in Ventura County as opposed to beaches in LA County.  Less people and ample parking is the draw for me going to Ventura.

I had a chance to read and relax on the beach during a nice sunny day.  Aside from reading a book called "Popular Crime" by Bill James, I was able to think of the blog world for a bit.  You know, the world in which most of my readers congregate.

Most of the time when I think of blogging, I am thinking about writing topics for the Platter.  It is kind of selfish of me but, I have to give the Platter fans some quality words.  But, today, I was actually thinking of the blog world as a whole.

What are some ideas that could make our card collecting blog world better?

We can expand on some ideas as a group and maybe some additions to our community will come to fruition.


One of the ideas that I thought of was a blog that just showed pictures of cards that are for trade.  The post will be a picture, contact info for the poster and a couple sentences talking about the piece of cardboard trade bait.

It will be simple and one stop shopping for traders.  Take this 2004 Upper Deck Timeless Talents Auto as an example.  I wrote several words above the Thomas photo.  A Brewers collector could have skimmed past the previous paragraphs and not have realized this was a trade bait post. I make my readers wait a little bit before I get to some photos sometimes.

On a trade bait blog, I would simply write, "This Gorman Thomas Auto is for trade.  Send me something nice, please."

Any blog trader will frequent this site and a Brewer collector will eventually see this card and take it off my hands.  So, please trade me for this card, Brewers fans.


This is another card that I would like to be sent to a good home.  It is a piece of a Houston Astros jersey worn by Carlos Beltran.  Pedro Martinez is lurking in the background in Boston Red Sox uniform.  A New York Mets symbol is in the center of this card.  The card is also #ed/75.

Confusing card so, please make me an offer for this one.  It may appeal to a few different fan bases.

Just another example of what a trade bait blog could become.

The posts could even be separated by teams for easier searching.  Just an idea, let me know what you guys think or if a blog like this is already in play.

Another idea that I thought of while cruising past orange groves on my way home from Ventura was a blog that is a critique and commentary on the blog world.  The site won't necessarily talk about sports cards or the sports card industry but, will write about the blogs/bloggers that cover those topics.

Writers for this type of blog will write reviews of blogs or blog posts, discuss the main current trends among blogs, profiles of bloggers and a way to promote newer blogs or blogs that are under followed and deserve more readership.

Any commentary about our fellow bloggers should be taken in jest. It will be a site with humor and won't take itself to seriously.  Nothing too critical, just a blog to discuss other blogs.

Please let me know what you think of these two ideas.  Also, let me know if you would like to be a part of an endeavor like this.  I am open for a good discussion on this.

Thanks for reading, friends.


8 comments:

SpastikMooss said...

I love the idea of the trade bait blog. Sort of like A Pack to Be Named later with lots of authors, but with the idea of moving cardboard. Fantastic thought!

SpastikMooss said...

Oh and I should mention I'd totally join that blog!

The Diamond King said...

Me too! Oh, and if you don't have an offer for the Thomas auto, I'd like it!

Arno said...

I think that is a solid idea.

Stealing Home said...

both ideas are right on.
one stop trading post sounds like a great idea. it sounds simple.

the other critic blog would be cool also. could be a touchy one though. some folks have thin skins, and others say things in a gruff way.

your ideas are still great. keep 'em coming !

Rosenort said...

I like the idea of a "trade central" blog, it would be nice to also include wants/trade lists ordered by product for set builders along with the more traditional "hit" based trade bait.

arpsmith said...

I really like the trade blog idea, I would be totally up for it.

Dodgerbobble said...

Trade blog idea I'm all for. Who's gonna start it up?

BTW, Here is a link to my trade bait page. Feel free to add it to any other trade bait page.