Sunday, June 16, 2013

Digging Through Variety

The Dodger game is in a rain delay.  This is a shame on a personal level.  I work an overnight shift at a retail store.  My shift ends at around eight in the morning.  I start to get drowsy in the late afternoon.  I wasn't planning on napping before the Dodger game because I thought that I could plow through most of it and head to bed afterwards.  The game is going to start in about a half an hour.  It should be over around three.  I should be able to make it without passing out.

The mixture of sets that I am glancing at as I scope out the contents of my purchased jumbo box has kept the search interesting.  I am finding some cards that fit into my collections and I am finding some cards that will fit into other blogger's collections.  Buying a bulk lot is a fun way to see sets that are fresh and new to your eyes.


The Fleer EX set made it out of the 90s.  I had no idea that Fleer EX survived and was churning out sets in 2002.  The set still has the credit card feel that some collectors loved back in the 90s.  The 2002 Fleer EX set just has a thinner credit card feel to it like a community college school ID level of thickness.  The ones from the 90s that I remember were actual credit card thickness and those cards can be used to pry open locked doors.  I am not condoning or suggesting that action by the way.  Just trying to relate to my thieving demographic.


2002 Topps Gold Label is another set that I am unfamiliar with.  This set seems flashy and has good photography.  This set is the love child of Bowman Platinum and Topps Stadium Club.

Too bad this card is of a guy named Toby Hall that was a bum on the Dodgers.  This card had binder potential until I remembered that Hall helped the Dodgers lose baseball games.  To the stack of the unwanted, 2002 Topps Gold Label Toby Hall.


I don't buy to many minor league only sets.  Actually please let me rephrase that by saying that I never buy minor league only sets.  I am still glad though that this mystery box of fun has brought me a hundred or so cards from 2011 Topps Pro Debut.  So far the stack has yielded me zero Dodgers.  The box is pretty well mixed with cards and I am not even a quarter of the way done digging through its contents.  The box may hold some Dodgers Pro Debut cards.

Delino DeShields may be a solid prospect in the Houston Astros minor league system.  DeShields was a first round draft pick in 2010 according to the back of the baseball card.  I will not do a Google search to find out more information on the younger DeShields.  If I Google search "Delino DeShields", I may stumble upon the older Delino DeShields and have to see a photo of him flailing at a low breaking ball while wearing a Dodger uniform.  The younger DeShields has a dad who helped the Dodgers lose baseball games.

Happy Fathers Day!

No comments: