Sunday, October 9, 2011

Raidering and Writing a Trade Post

Today was a good day for me.  My day started early by making a drive out to Pasadena to watch the Raiders/Texans game with some friends.  We had the usual fun times with morning beer drinking and shouting.  The Raiders won today in honor of the late Al Davis.  It is weird for me to think that the Raiders won't be run by Al Davis.  I truly believed that Al Davis would out live me.

After watching the Raiders win in dramatic fashion, I made a trek from Pasadena to Tarzana in the valley to stop by the card shop.  I was going there to meet up with Josh from Dodgerbobble.  Normally, a trek like Pasadena to Tarzana is a tough task.  But, today the freeways were clear and the sun was shining.  Well, I live in LA, the sun is always shining.  I made it to the shop very quickly.  I believe that Al Davis cleared the way for me to give thanks for all the times that I have defended him to Raider haters as well as fellow Raider fans.

Before, this starts to sound like my October 9th journal entry, lets get to the trade post.  This package was sent to me by Napkin Doon, who is a great trader and has an awesome blog name. 

I love serial cards from the 90s.  You know, the cards with the extremely high serial number but, was meant to show scarcity.  For some reason, as a kid, I never pulled any cards like this Eric Karros #ed/6000.  I may have been opening up to much Collector's Choice back then.


These were the cards that got my interest when Napkin Doon posted them on his blog.  The Topps Chrome this year looks really nice.  I am glad that Topps had made the proper changes to make up for last year's debacle.

The Ryan Braun card shares the design of 1995 Topps.  I opened up a lot of 1995 Topps packs as a kid.  The design brings me back to my glory days at age 12.

I am not sure if Ivan DeJesus Jr. will ever get a fair shake with the Dodgers.  He had a breakout year in the minors a few years back and then broke his leg.  He has been trying to bounce back and prove his worth to the team.  He didn't do much with only a handful of at-bats at the major league level this year.  Next year may be his last chance to make a strong impression with the Dodgers before they ship him off to Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh is where GM Ned Colletti sends Dodger prospects to disappear.


Minis!  Minis are awesome, especially retro minis.  2 out of 3 of these guys will be in different uniforms by next July.  In my world, Clayton Kershaw is going to be a Dodger lifer.  I hope I am write.  I haven't invested this much love in a player since Mike Piazza.  I don't think I would be able to get over it, if I saw Kershaw in another uniform.

Thanks for the trade,Napkin Doon. 

2 comments:

night owl said...

Kershaw in another uniform??????

You're going to give me nightmares.

Play at the Plate said...

Wouldn't Kershaw look good in Ranger red? Of course, for your sake (and Night Owl's) I hope he stays in Dodger blue!