Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Late Night, Early Morning Read

I just got back from tonight's Dodger game.  Clayton Kershaw outdueled Tim Lincecum again.  Kershaw is no 5-0 against the Giants this season and is 4-0 against Lincecum head to head.  He has been dominating the rivals up north this season.

The atmosphere was pretty good at Dodger Stadium tonight.  There was more electricity in the air as opposed to other games that I have attended this year.  People were pumped for Kershaw vs. Lincecum.  My favorite match-up to watch.  This was also the last game that I am going to this year.  It was a night that I got to witness Kershaw getting win number 20 against the hated ones.  It was a great final live game for me.  I don't think that I will be going to any games next season as long as Frank McCourt is in control.  I won't be renewing my mini plan but, I could still see myself going to a handful of games next year.  Just, much less than in previous years.

I haven't posted in a while.  So, lets see some cool cards that I have gotten recently.  That's what I came on to blogger tonight to show you some of the good stuff. 

I am just rewinding from a thrilling baseball game.  My adreneline from the game has given me the energy for some night time posting.

Wicked Ortega hosted a group break done draft style on his blog.  His blog is called My past time...I love it. 

Wicked had a wide range of game used, autos, and vintage to choose from.  Most of my picks are going into my PC.  I picked up some trade and sale bait that I may show you guys at another time. 

Since the Dodgers won tonight by beating the Giants, let me start by showing you guys the only Dodger that I picked up from Wicked Ortega.  This card is a 1968 Topps Dodgers team card.  The condition is really solid.

Don Drysdale and Don Sutton are lurking on this card somewhere.  This photo may not have ever been taken.  The faces are impossible to make out.  The players may have been painted in a generic fashion from a far distant.  That is a fact over here at the Platter.


The 1968 Topps Dodger team card was the only Dodger that I added to my collection from this break.  I did however manage to get some nice cards of players that have worn Dodger Blue.

Kirk Gibson will always be remebered in Dodger lore for what he did in the 1988 World Series.  I had to pick this card even though it is him as a Detroit Tiger.  Gibson is a Dodger legend, who is now managing the Arizona Diamondbacks to a division title.

2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot has some sweet looking GUs.  This is the Upper Deck set that I would like to see some back.  The autos are cool looking from this set also.


Here is another card featuring a dude that has played for the Dodgers.  This is a 1999 Just Minors autograph of Jayson Werth.  The auto is on-card and features Werth as an Oriole.

Werth was a player that I really liked on the Dodgers in the mid-2000s.  I was always happy to see him have success when he went to the Philadelphia Phillies.  Werth is now struggling after signing a huge contract with the Washington Nationals.  He traded away winning with the Phils for losing and a lot more cash.  I just hope that his performance picks up to at least warrant the kind of deal that was given to him.


This is my first Mike Piazza relic.  It is a bat relic to boot!  But, it is Piazza has an Oakland A.  I give that just a 1/2 notch below him as a Dodger.  But, it is better than seeing him as a Met or Padre. 

Bowman Heritage was nice enough to print Piazza's full name on the card.  I find it important to know Piazza's middle name.  It is an added sign of respect to the greatest hitting catcher.  Check out his stats for the 1997 season.  It was his last full season as a Dodger and it was a year only a beast can have.

Thank you for 1997 Mike Joseph Piazza.


Since, I have other PCs other than ones that involve the Dodgers, I picked up this Dice-K GU.  Dice-K is a future Ned Colletti signing.  I feel it in my gut.

Dice-K is a "name" player.  He is also on the downside of his career.  Dice-K has also had surgery this year.  That sounds like a Colletti signing this offseason.  So, this card will be of more interest to me in 2012 when Dice-K is donning Dodger Blue.

This was a preemptive pick for my PC.

No comments: