Sunday, January 8, 2012

Don Zimmer Made My Day

Don Zimmer is one of the last Boys of Summer still alive and well.  I read somewhere that only 50 something Brooklyn Dodgers are still alive.  Sadly, I don't have a link to where I read that or if it's true.  That is just some laziness from your boy at the Platter.

After reading about the limited number of Brooklyn Dodgers still around, gave me a sense of urgency to obtain as many of there autos as possible.  The 1955 Champion Dodgers is my favorite World Series winner of all time.  The Dodgers were stacked with big time players.  They had Jackie, Pee Wee, The Duke and Gil Hodges     in the line up. They had Don Newcombe,Carl Erskine and Johnny Podres in the rotation.  That team was beast.

Also, they beat the rival Yankees to win in 1955.  Podres shut the Yanks down in Game 7.  The Game 7 in 1955 would be my dream game to attend if I had a hot tub time machine.  I would pick that game over 1988 World Series Game 1 and 1965 World Series Game 7.

Don Zimmer was a member of the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers.  Zimmer was a back up infielder on the team.  He wasn't much of a hitter but, he could play 2nd, SS, and 3rd.  Utility players even had value back in the day.  Every team needs a Zimmer.

I saw on the Sports Card Forum that Zimmer signs autographs through the mail.  The SCF has been my source for all the TTMs that I have mailed out.

I quickly checked my Brooklyn binder to make sure that I had a good card to send Zimmer.  There was no way that I was going to send him a card with him as a manager of the Red Sox or Padres.  I had to have a Brooklyn card to mail him.  Luckily, I had one Don Zimmer Brooklyn Dodger card.  I sent him a 1979 TCMA for him to autograph.

Awesome!  Thank you, Don Zimmer!







No comments: