Friday, October 25, 2013

Grande Group Break Loot

When it comes to Dodger cards, my collection has some dead zones.  The dead zones are gaps in years where my binders are missing some potentially great Dodger cardboard.  I have a ton of 90s cards.  The 90s was the greatest era for everything including baseball cards.  One of the few problems for collectors of that era was that a million card companies released a million sets each year of the finest decade.  The number of sets that came out to the adoring public in the 90s has left some gaps in my collection.  This isn't too big of a problem for me since the explosion of set releases also led to some creativity among the card designers.  It is just an obstacle to overcome.

Another dead zone in my pursuit of Dodger baseball cards is the first half of the 2000s.  I wasn't a big collector in the early part of the 21st century.  I am probably missing out on some 2001 Topps Dodger cards.  The 2000-2006 era of baseball cards seems harder to track down for some reason.  In the rare case where I have a chance to pounce on some cards from the elusive early 2000s, I get in the ready position and leap towards the opportunity.


Chris from the blog Nachos Grande held a group break in which he was opening up boxes from my collection dead zones.  He offered up some 90s cards as well as some cards from the lost days of the early 2000s.

I have probably never seen this action shot of a leaping Adrian Beltre before.  2000 Skybox Dominion was not on my list of next purchases.  A group break with a sweet variety netted me this gem.


2004 Fleer is a set that I probably would have collected had I been interested in baseball cards in 2004.  It has a simple retro design lifted and slightly updated from an early 90s Fleer release.  This type of card stock is perfect for an autographed signature.  This group break may have gotten me most of the Dodgers I needed for this set.


The 2000 Topps Gold Label set is one that I have been digging for awhile now.  After seeing a box of it broken over at Nachos Grande, it is now on my purchase radar.  The base set is flashy with some decent photography.  The insert sets are really nice and well designed.  A box of these cards will be mine in the near future.

One of the benefits of joining a group break is being able to sample a little bit from a variety of sets.  It is a helpful way to acquire an abundance of cards for your collection and get a chance to discover something new from the collecting world.  I have bought boxes before after seeing them in a group break.  2000 Topps Gold Label is next up for me.


Furthermore, the '93 Upper Deck set was my jam back in the day.  The set had an awesome design with some world class sports photography.  Any group break that is going to open up some '93 Upper Deck is calling my name.

Even though, I have been around a lot of '93 Upper Deck cards, this Eric Karros may be new to me.  Karros cards are one of the leaders in my collection.  Hideo Nomo is in the lead but, Karros and his great hair aren't far behind.

This group break netted me some great cards for me collection.  The boxes opened at Nachos Grande even included a Zenith set that had 8x10 cards in them.  The 8x10s deserve their own post because they are picture frame worthy.  That post will be worth the wait.

Thanks for hosting a fun group break, Chris.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I love those '04 Fleer Traditions. You're right, it does kind of remind me of an early '90s Fleer set.