Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My First OBAK Autos

I went on an ebay search a couple weeks ago searching for some cheap Dodger autographs.  The Dodgers have been struck by injuries so, they called up Josh Lindblom about 2-3 weeks ago.  He has since been sent back down to the minors.  Anyways, I have been reading about him for a few years since the Dodgers drafted him out of Purdue.  I enjoy collecting autos of failed Dodger prospects or Dodger prospects that aren't in the top 100 according to Baseball America.  Lindblom fits into the Dodger prospect category that I collect. 

I was able to find a pairing of a couple OBAK autos of Lindblom and White Sox prospect Jordan Danks.  With these two being sold as a lot for 2 bucks each, I was in!  The Danks is available for trade but, the Lindblom is a keeper.  Lindblom pitched well for the Dodgers in his short stint this year.  I enjoyed watching him pitch.

I didn't have any OBAK cards before this purchase.  They lack a MLB licence so, Lindblom is shown in a Chattanooga Lookouts uniform.  The quality of the card is below the standards of the big boys such as Topps and Upper Deck.

After getting this in the mail, I began to think how much it would cost to start a card company.  Because I have heard of OBAK before and I'm sure some collectors have purchased boxes or packs of this product.  The quality of the card made me think that I could do it myself.  How much could it cost to get some minor leaguers to sign some cardboard?  Just wondering.  I may not have the means or business acumen to start my own trading card company but, a boy could dream,right?


Just for good measure, here is a picture of the Danks autograph.  If anyone is interested, please let me know.

I think that I will search out ebay for more OBAK products.  They have a wide ranging autograph checklist.  The background design is similar to the Goodwin set.

1 comment:

Dodgerbobble said...

Love it. I've bid on a couple of Linbloms, haven't had too much luck though. The OBAK is very nice.